Home > SmartFeatures® > SmartBrite® ColorQuartz® Finish
Pool interior finish: Get beauty, endurance, and better value
Forget old-school pool plaster. Instead, give your pool a distinctive color finish that’s unmatched in looks, durability, and ease of ownership.
Blue Haven’s SmartBrite® ColorQuartz®—made with a select blend of ceramic quartz aggregate—will accentuate your pool’s interior with an attractive, slip-resistant, long-lasting surface that’s easier to maintain than plain marcite plaster.
SmartBrite’s pleasing appearance and incomparable performance come from the marriage of two key elements:
- Quartz—Natural, translucent, and one of the world’s hardest minerals, and
- Ceramics—For centuries, a proven method of coating and preserving colored surfaces.
This innovative pairing of quartz aggregate and color ceramics creates ColorQuartz®—a superb pool surface that delivers style with staying power.
ColorQuartz®: Standing the test of time
With a handsome interior and impressive longevity, SmartBrite® finish puts traditional marcite to shame. This ColorQuartz® finish gives pool owners a number of advantages:
- Overall, a ColorQuartz® interior holds up better against chipping, chemical etching, ultraviolet deterioration, erosion from harsh water,* and mechanical wear and abrasion from the wheels of some automatic pool cleaners.
- The pigmented ceramic coating on each quartz granule lasts just like glazed ceramic tile, and unlike paints or stains, it will never bleed or leach harmful chemicals into your pool water.
- With its attractive color-speckle surface, ColorQuartz® minimizes the appearance of streaks and tiny, superficial hairline cracks that occur with all marcite plaster.
- Deep stains can’t take hold, and if surface spots do appear, they’re much easier to clean. Should acid washing ever be needed, ColorQuartz® holds up dramatically better than plain marcite.
- ColorQuartz® provides a smooth, yet slip-resistant pool surface—without exposing sharp rock edges like some pebble finishes can.
- The ceramic element remains truer to its original color:
Unlike dyed marcite plaster, ColorQuartz® coated granules deliver even, non-stop color without fading, bleeding, mottling, or pigment stains.
Your Blue Haven designer will explain the SmartBrite® ColorQuartz® material warranty and provide samples so that you can see—and feel—your color options.
*Proper water chemistry is critical to maintain the appearance of all pool finishes.
**Available in some U.S. markets in premium pebble upgrade; inquire with your local Blue Haven office. Learn more in this article about various kinds of pool finishes—marcite, quartz, and pebble.
Blue Haven helps pioneer ColorQuartz® pool finishes
For decades, traditional marcite plaster presented many shortcomings to pool owners everywhere. Back in the Nineties, a solution came from one unexpected source: materials innovation giant, 3M.
The company had developed ColorQuartz® aggregate to use in roofing materials. Later, it was discovered that the material also worked in pool finishes to combat the pitfalls that came with plain marcite.
Blue Haven offices played a major role in helping usher in wider use of this new material finish in pools. Teaming up with 3M, Blue Haven offices across the country were among the first pool builders that launched 3M’s ColorQuartz® product into the pool-construction marketplace.
With multiple Blue Haven offices promoting the new product to its thousands of customers, the popularity of ColorQuartz® pool finish increased across the country.
Ever since these early efforts to popularize quartz finish among American pool buyers, Blue Haven offices have remained on the forefront of using this high-performance material in both new pools and renovations. With all of its attributes, this finish provides greater overall value for each Blue Haven customer.